Sunday, February 09, 2014

Dream • Wedding Dress

At my house, sitting in my rocker, I am aware that at 10:30 I am getting married. I have not chosen a wedding gown yet and it is 10:29. I am obviously running out of time and other anxious folks are appalled I have not attended to this bit of business. Knowing I had a little leeway on my wedding day, I am not as concerned but understand that time  has caught up with me. Springing into action, I rifle my small closet and find a black dress, that is at once inappropriate for the occasion, but my first choice to try on. Vetoed by those around, I reach into the closet and pull out a fire engine red flouncy number. I put it half on to model to much disapproval. I seek refuge in the larger room, and try to talk myself into calm as the escalating panic is affecting arriving guests. Aunt Arlene is there and pretty chill, but I can see her concern for me and my ineptitude in this situation. For some reason, I pull another dress over the top of the red one . This is bright yellow, also inappropriate, but now I seem to have all the colors of the German flag represented. Back into the closet, with some relief I pull out an off-white full length chemise gown, that everyone agrees will save the day. Some friends and helpers are angry and exasperated, while I am somehow resigned to the impending nuptials. The groom is dream-forgotten, but not really connected to this bit of a larger dream.